Friday, January 9, 2015

Google is NOT Your Friend

Usually, Google is my trusted friend, confidant, and resource for everything.

Need a quick pasta recipe?  Google.

Can't remember the name of that place that's located in town?  Google.

Need directions?  Google.

Don't know how to properly spell something?  Google.

Basically, if you need to know anything about everything all you have to do is Google it (or Bing, if that's your choice).  Now, what they don't tell you when you get pregnant is that Google will turn on you in a heartbeat.

Light spotting or cramping?  Miscarriage.

No morning sickness and very little symptoms?  Miscarriage.

Pulling or stretching on one side?  Ectopic pregnancy.

Feeling really, really sick early on?  Get ready for more than one baby.

In hoping for the best yet preparing for the worst in our particular situation, I've once again scared myself shitless by Googling about miscarriages and the pros and cons to a natural miscarriage versus a medicinal one versus a D&C.  After reading several posts and message boards about miscarriage horror stories and starting to feel anxious I stopped what I was doing, closed down Google, and vowed to not make any decisions till next Wednesday and if I'm to miscarry, hubby and I will make our decision based on a conversation with our doctor and not what Google says.

In my humble opinion, for their own good, every woman who gets pregnant should have her Google card revoked immediately.  Hubby would be the first in line to sign that petition I'm sure!

Here's my advice to my fellow preggo mamas...

1.  If you're like me and just can't help yourself, go ahead and Google BUT remember that very few people write about the good things, so you're always more apt to find the horror stories; therefore, take every letter you read with a huge grain of salt.

2.  If something is medically happening to you; spotting, heavy cramping, loss of symptoms, not feeling well, etc.  CALL YOUR DOCTOR.  That's why they are there.  I've made several calls into my OB's office and always spoke to a nurse who is way more knowledgeable than some message board and has always helped me feel more calm afterwards.  Plus, they have NEVER made me feel silly, stupid, or like I was a bother.  (NOTE: If you're being made to feel like that, find a new doctor.)

3.  Remember, every pregnancy is different.  If your BFF was pregnant before you, spent much of it with her head in the toilet, gained 50lbs, and had a horrible labor, that doesn't mean you will too.  Your body is your own and will do it's own thing and when you become pregnant, your little one will do its own thing as well and if that means developing slower or differently than your BFF's little one, so be it.

4.  Pregnancy is not an easy time.  It's filled with every emotion under the sun and the first three months are the absolute worst.  Now, I'm not 100% sure where I'm at with my current pregnancy so all my advice is based off what limited knowledge I've acquired the last several weeks.  But I do know, they've not been easy.  The feelings, twinges, pulls, cramps, spotting, symptoms, etc. are all new to me and with each one there's always this thought of "Is that supposed to feel like that?"  And, as someone with a history of minor anxiety, everything gets amplified.

5.  Speaking of anxiety, if you struggle with it, depression, or have any other form of mental issue, please know you are not alone.  There is help, and you deserve to have the most wonderful pregnancy experience as the next woman.  There are resources and if you need to be on some type of meds, that's ok too.  Even though you're carrying around a precious little one, he/she is not the only one that matters.  Take care of yourself, make yourself a priority as well and trust that your body, mind, and spirit will get you through so that when your little one does arrive you can be the best mommy ever.

6.  Cry if you need to.  Nap if it helps.  Talk to your spouse, partner, friends, and family.  Ask for support and prayers.  Utilize the resources at your hospital or birthing clinic and last but not least, trust your body.  Women have been birthing babies for eons.  It's a natural process that can be quite scary.  But, you are not alone, your body knows what to do, there are things available to help you cope, and in the grand scheme of your life the pain, discomfort, uncertainty, fear, and doubt are extremely temporary and will quickly be replaced with a love like no other that will last a lifetime.

7.  And once again, for the love of God, DON'T GOOGLE!



     

No comments:

Post a Comment